Friday, March 5, 2010

In non-pregnancy news...

...our fridge is dying. Well, the fridge part works fine. But the freezer doesn't quite freeze everything anymore. I noticed for a while that the ice cubes were always a little watery, like they never froze completely. But what tipped me off was when I took a loaf of bread out of the freezer and it wasn't solid.

I wanted to cry. We do not need to spend money on a new fridge right now! There are much better things to be spending it on. You know, like this. The weird part was though, things like frozen chicken? Solid. What?! How does that work? Bread doesn't freeze but meat does? I don't get it. At all.

However, we have slowly noticed other things that don't freeze either. Veggies. Cheese. Ice cream. Very important parts of our diet (especially cheese and ice cream). So we started facing the reality that we need a new fridge.

Now we could have just gone out and gotten a cheapo regular old fridge. But that wasn't our plan. We have one of those now. Our plan was to wait a couple more years then get a counter depth 36" french door refrigerator which accepts custom panels to match the rest of our kitchen. I designed the kitchen according to that plan, and our current fridge sits in a too big spot just waiting to be replaced by our dream fridge.

Obviously, that dream is out of reach of our wallets at the moment. So J started searching Craig's List. And he found it. A 10 year old Jenn-Air side by side counter depth 36" fridge which accepts custom panels AND has water and ice on the door.

No, it isn't our dream fridge. But for $200, it is close enough! Even if it only lasts us a few more years and then we get our dream fridge, it's a lot better than spending at least $200 to fix our current fridge, or $500 on a new cheapo fridge.

I am so. damn. excited. about this fridge. Yet another reminder of the fact that I am growing up, no matter how hard I try to ignore the evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment