Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Some good news!

Let me give a little background. Back at my 35 week u/s, they said that one of the baby's kidneys was enlarged. They said it was no big deal and would probably resolve itself, but that they would do another u/s on the baby after it was born to check.

Last week we went for that u/s, and it showed as still slightly enlarged. I was told that is common in boys, and that they would continue to monitor it via u/s. His doctor was on vacation, and when she got back yesterday she called to follow up on the u/s. She wanted him to go in for a VCUG (not entirely sure what it stands for, but I will explain) to check on it further. We ended up getting booked for that today, so that was awesome. She also explained the whole thing to me a lot better.

Apparently the enlarged bit was a pocket of urine that was moving in and out of the kidney. If it was going back into the kidney, and any bacteria got into his penis and went with his urine he could end up getting recurring UTIs. Obviously that would not be a good thing.

The VCUG consisted of them inserting a catheter, then filling his bladder with dye and watching him pee out the dye to see if any of it went back up into his kidney. If it did, he would have urinary reflux. Well, it didn't! We still have to get the follow up report from his pedi, but the doctor who did the VCUG was confident that he does not have reflux because they ended up doing it twice. My little power peer peed so fast the first time that they didn't get to take all the pictures they needed, so they did it a second time. Both times though there was no dye back up in his kidney.

So that is very good news! One reflux down, one to go. Yep that's right, one to go. I think he is showing early signs of acid reflux. We are headed to the pedi in about an hour, so I will update again after that!

Overall though, even with these issues going on, he's still such a good baby. After screaming all morning and then finally vomiting his entire meal on himself and his car seat right when I got to the hospital for the VCUG, he was totally calm for the entire procedure, and actually slept after they got the catheter in! They said they had never seen a baby sleep through a VCUG before, and were totally impressed. I was so very proud of my sweet boy.

3 comments:

  1. aww Jamie! Glad the VCUG was clean! I hope he doesn't have acid reflux - that would be so painful for baby :(

    PS - I love that you labeled this post "woe is Jamie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news on UR! Hope the docs went well, acid reflux definitely sucks!!

    ReplyDelete