Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Truffles

I recently saw these in a friend's pictures on facebook, and had to have the recipe. They were actually quite easy. I modified what she said to do slightly.

What you need:

1 box spice cake, baked according to directions
1 jar cream cheese frosting
1 bottle of pumpkin spice creamer
3 packages of Baker's chocolate

What you do:

Break up the cake and put it all in a mixing bowl. Start the paddle mixing and slowly add about 1/3 of the creamer.

Now add about 1/3 of the frosting, keeping the mixer constantly going.

Add another 1/3 of the creamer.

And now another 1/3 of the frosting.

This got it to about the right consistency for me. Honestly, I was just figuring that out as I went. If you have made cake balls before, you will know when the consistency is right. If not - make sure it seems like a truffle's inside, rather than spongy and cakey.

Once mixed evenly, put in the freezer to chill for a bit. The colder the mix, the easier it is to form balls.

When you are ready to form the balls, line a cookie sheet with wax paper, and roll the mix into about 1" balls (or whatever looks right to you for truffles).

Pop them into the fridge to stay cool while you fill up the rest of your sheets (this made three full sheets for me).

To melt the chocolate, get a small pot with a bit of water boiling, and place a bowl slightly larger than the pot on top. Put the chocolate in the bowl and let it melt. This is the best way to melt chocolate without burning it. Trust me, I am speaking from experience.

Drop each ball in and roll it around until coated, then remove. I use a fork to do this part.

I sprinkled jimmies on top of them. Here is the finished product:

And the taste? If you have tried the pumpkin spice kisses Hershey's has, they taste like those dipped in chocolate. I still like the oreo truffles better, but these are pretty damn good as well.

1 comment: