Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chocolate Cake Balls


Last night I decided to make some cake balls. I have made oreo truffles a couple times before, and the concept is very similar. I have eaten cake balls before as well, but never made them myself.

I used one box cake mix, one jar of frosting, and 14 oz. of Baker's chocolate.

I baked the cake in a 13 x 9 according to the instructions on the box. When the cake was done, I put it straight into my mixer with the frosting and let it blend the two together completely.

Then I formed the mixture into small truffle-sized balls, layed them out on a cookie sheet with wax paper, and popped them in the freezer while I melted the chocolate.

Once the chocolate was ready I dipped each ball in the chocolate and rolled it around to coat, using a fork and my fingers, then placed them back on the cookie sheet.

Let them set in the fridge overnight, and voila! Cake balls!

They are essentially truffles. Compared to the oreo truffles, I think they took a little bit more work to make since there is baking a cake involved, but that really didn't take long. The most work there was washing out my mixer bowl so that I could use it as soon as the cake was done baking.

Comparing taste to the oreo truffles - I like the oreo ones more. I will stick to those in the future. The filling of those is much more like a truffle consistancy. These have a lighter, less dense filling.

That's not to say that these aren't delicious as well! ::nom nom nom::

1 comment: