But it's my blog so I'm allowed! J and I have been talking recently about the future, in regards to when we will start TTC. One of the things we want to figure out before then is what I will do once a baby arrives. I have always, all my life, wanted to be a SAHM. However, up until about two years ago, I figured I would be working at some company, and when the time came I would leave. I never dreamed I would be working for my father, or that I would feel attached to my job.
But the fact is that I do. Not just because I am working for my father, but I truly enjoy my job. For those of you who don't know, it is just the two of us. When I started working for him, it brought some changes to the company, which is understandable since it was just him before. I am very involved here, and I wouldn't feel right just walking away. We are about to purchase a building and build a showroom, which will take the company to a new level. I don't want to just walk away from that in a year or two.
When I first voiced these concerns to J (who has only ever known me to want to SAH) he was really supportive and said he was sure we could figure something out with my Dad to work from home. But I had no idea how to bring it up to him. I know he is wicked excited for us to have kids, but we don't really talk about it.
How do I say to him 'we aren't having kids yet, but I want to talk to you about what will happen here when we do'? I don't really talk to my Dad about these types of things. And planning for the future is not exactly his forte - when I told him I needed the vacation time for Italy, he said 'I dunno just remind me when it gets closer.' This was only a month and a half before the trip!
Here is where the AW part comes in - I was talking to my mom about it the other day (she knows about how I feel torn) and she said she mentioned it to my dad. He told her, without hesitation, that we could definitely work something out where I would either work from home part time or even eventually bring the kids to work with me! He is willing to completely accomodate my needs! I am so excited, I never thought it would be that easy to figure out this dilemma.
I am truly so lucky, and I promise I will not take this for granted :-)
But the fact is that I do. Not just because I am working for my father, but I truly enjoy my job. For those of you who don't know, it is just the two of us. When I started working for him, it brought some changes to the company, which is understandable since it was just him before. I am very involved here, and I wouldn't feel right just walking away. We are about to purchase a building and build a showroom, which will take the company to a new level. I don't want to just walk away from that in a year or two.
When I first voiced these concerns to J (who has only ever known me to want to SAH) he was really supportive and said he was sure we could figure something out with my Dad to work from home. But I had no idea how to bring it up to him. I know he is wicked excited for us to have kids, but we don't really talk about it.
How do I say to him 'we aren't having kids yet, but I want to talk to you about what will happen here when we do'? I don't really talk to my Dad about these types of things. And planning for the future is not exactly his forte - when I told him I needed the vacation time for Italy, he said 'I dunno just remind me when it gets closer.' This was only a month and a half before the trip!
Here is where the AW part comes in - I was talking to my mom about it the other day (she knows about how I feel torn) and she said she mentioned it to my dad. He told her, without hesitation, that we could definitely work something out where I would either work from home part time or even eventually bring the kids to work with me! He is willing to completely accomodate my needs! I am so excited, I never thought it would be that easy to figure out this dilemma.
I am truly so lucky, and I promise I will not take this for granted :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment